When I became Music subject leader in my school, the first thing I added to my yearly action plan was to use the neglected school recorders. This meant cleaning them. The first thing I did was give them a bit of a scrub with a clean washing up brush to get the gunk in the ridges off. Then I soaked them in hot water for an hour to soften any extra gunk in the holes and inside. Finally, I put them in the dishwasher. This was very satisfying as the recorders fitted perfectly on the spokes. I put them on a normal cycle and they came out as good as new. When I put them back together I used vaseline (the petroleum jelly variety) to fit them back together as they were quite tight and rigid otherwise. Finally, when I brought them back to school I made sure I had a pack of alcohol-free wipes so the children could clean the recorders after use. I made sure the children were shown how to do this as it saved me disinfecting them and it also gave the children ownership of their music lessons. I also notice one of two of them were badly chewed so I threw those away.